Thursday, May 13, 2010

Reflection on the year that was.

Okay..now where do I start?
*lets start from the very beginning, it's a very good place to start* =P

Lets see, I arrived in the UK on the 21st of September 2009. Today, it's Day 225 since I've been away from home...I've never been away from home for so long before. For almost 19 years I've been studying in the comfort of my home. So...Year 2 has been quite an experience. =)

And below is my room in Wessex. =D
I'm gonna miss my room when I return this October. Gonna be in Mackinder. Gonna miss Wessex as well.

Wessex on the whole, has been kind to me..=D
There were some ups and downs, and being away from home for the first time, it was quite scary at first. But everything worked out nicely.
*L-R - Laura, Dave, Me, Hayley. ps..I think I look better with short hair..XD

My kitchen mates are great people...maybe not so much in the noise and cleanliness departments..but heck..it was an experience I will treasure.
Christmas dinner at Wessex before they left for home. =D
Will I miss them? For sure!
I'm not one to like change. It's difficult for me. I prefer staying within my comfort zone, or what I know. So, if I were staying with them in Wessex again next year..I don't think I would complain. You know what, I actually wouldn't mind if this year wouldn't end.

It's been fantastic! If everything were to be the same next year, I'll gladly take it. =D
Back in Year 1, there were quite a lot of people intending to come over for Year 2. Elisa, Winston, Ahmed, Eileen and a handful from the Jan cohort.

So, when the time really came, it was only Khiara, Amethyst, Yunrui and myself. =S
I was actually kinda scared coming over without many people I knew. The 4 of us, are like from different groups..if you know what I mean. I wasn't close with them in Year 1. The other people I knew were Shaun and Yun Ling, because we're from Subang Utama (5 Beta and 5 Alpha), and Kristine, because she's my Year 2 buddy. =)

But, really, it was all of them that made this year a great one!
*This was during Deeparaya. =)

All the different characters made things interesting. Life here would've been quite a challenge without everyone else, especially all the seniors!! =D


Come this October, everything is gonna change. And that is something I'm torn in 2 about. On the one hand, it's gonna be great to see everyone from my year here in Reading next year. On the other, I'm gonna miss all my seniors! And, the benchmark for this year has been set like super duper high! Not sure if next year can top this year.

Going for lectures, was kinda weird and fun at the same time. There were just the 4 of us (most of the time 3 because Khiara doesn't come..=P).
And I think we've sort of become good friends, considering our very different backgrounds. And, next year will possibly change that. Why?

I will probably be hanging out with Ikram, Elisa, Justin Liew..my old group.
Amethyst will be hanging out with her group, Endrick, Derren, Susan, Rachel.
Yunrui with her Jan cohort friends.

Plus, we're not taking the same subjects next year.

AND, most importantly, we'll all be staying at different places. Me in Mackinder, Amethyst in either Sherfield or Student Village and Yunrui has a place on the way to town.

Next year, there won't be "Student Village" anymore. You must be going, "huh?". LOL
The Student Village (SV) I'm talking about is Block F, Flat 7. This is where everything was happening. It is my second home..=D

If you asked me whether I regretted staying in Wessex instead of either Sherfield/SV...
My answer would be this;
Financially, Wessex was good, but you have to balance between the financial (value of land) and the social (and policy value) aspect between the 2 choices. =D
*see how I just integrated the Land law pre-seen into that..XD

Socially, I missed out on a lot of stuff by staying in Wessex.

Now, if I had to make a choice all over again. Turn back the clocks. I would choose Sherfield/SV.
I've been mooting all this while that Wessex is better; nearer to lectures and tutorials, cheaper. But, really, the journey isn't long if you got friends around. So, I really wouldn't care now if I had to walk 30 minutes to Foxhill for a tutorial instead if the usual 5 minutes.

*The guys.
*The girls.

Yeah, of course I did come over for certain occasions like CNY, but I missed out on so much others. The fun and joy. Just goofing off and talking crap (especially when Zili is around).

It was like a family.
Kristine was the mother Big sister. =P
And everyone else, especially Shaun and Pris, were the bickering kids...HAHAS!! XD
I was the adopted brother..=D



Also, I missed out on all the birthday celebrations, cause I stayed too far away. Only managed to come for Esther's B'day cause we had a dinner that night.
Yeah, so definitely, coming over in Year 2 was a good move. Got to know the seniors better. And they're a bunch of awesome friends. =D
Many experiences we had...and one that I will remember is the one that we got lost on the way to Seewoo for the first time. It was Shaun, Penny, Esther Priscilla and me. We walked all the way, and we reached the A33...LOLS!!!

Fun times! =D

And every time I hear those 2 words..I immediately think fo this fellow!! =D
Henry "ryuzaki" Pearce..hehe..XD

He's too tall, loves anime, doing Japanese next year, formerly from Wessex, and a great guy..=D
Will be seeing him in HR next year..=D
He's doing Jap, HR, Environment, Medical and something else..lol.

Then there's Shaun Kang, of "Wong & Kang"...XD

I've known him since Form 1! Same class in Form 2, 4 and 5. Sat next to each other during Form 4 and 5. Always the second last row near the window..and he always wanted the window..LOLS!!

Sometimes I wish I'd have done SAM instead of A-levels. If I did, I would be graduating at the same time, then we would've been in the same class in SAM and the 3 years throughout law school. =)
He's always been everywhere I've been. In SU, Taylors and now Reading. We have almost the same interest, same views on things. The only difference is that he's not a sports guy..lol. But somehow he joined the Quartermasters in Form 5..XD

Here are a couple of "Family" pics that we took..=D
*Just noticed that Pris has MY bowl on her head. =P

OKAY!! So, I would like to say a big THANK YOU!!
This year wouldn't have been the great without each and everyone of you guys and girls!! =D

I will miss all of you!! And If I could have it my way...I wish I could rewind, and do it all over again!! But this time it will be me at Student Village as well!! =D

And with most of you gone next year, no more SV flat 7...='(

This year..I conclude..

HAS BEEN ONE OF THE BEST YEARS OF MY LIFE!!!

OK, Gotta go now..have to take a shower then head on over to cook at SV..=D

And Imma comin home in 20 days!!!!!!!!!

No comments: