Monday, April 9, 2007

My Future Battlefield!!

This morning, my classmates and I went on a school ( college actually...u know what i mean) trip, where we took a look at what might be our future battlefield. Don't worry, we're not going to war...but then again, maybe.

Our trip was to the Sessions and Magistrates Court in KL. It was fascinating to see so many things happening, and this is the first time, I've seen so many lawyers walking in and out. All of them in coats and tie. There were 27 of us altogether, including some from the June intake. Too bad i don't have a camera, but I'll see if I can get any pictures from my friend.

Firstly, we were told by Miss Harjit( our mentor) that we have to wear a shirt and not a t-shirt, and no jeans. So I wore a blue coloured long sleeve shirt. When I went to college in the morning, I was like, oh no...I'm over dressed! This was because Eu Jin and Kamal( from PL 2) were both wearing collared t-shirts. Miss Marguerite ( PL2's mentor) told them that as long as its a collared t-shirt. Then when Dominic came ( PL2 as well), I was even more like oh no!

BUT...when Wei Shiung came, I was more calm. He was more over dressed than I was. Then me and him went to the cafeteria to meet up with Su Wei and Juna. After sometime, and it was almost 8.30(which was the time we left), we decided to go out and wait for the bus. Both Wei Shiung and I let out a sigh of relief when we saw all the others who were joining us for this trip, all formally dressed!! Eu Jin, Kamal, and Dominic were starting to get worried, but later, everything turned out just fine.

We were greeted by 4 people working there, one of them was a judge, and then later split up into 2 groups. 1 group would go to the Civil courts, while the other was to go to the Criminal courts, then later switch.

My group ( going to the Civil courts first) was divided into another 2 groups. There, both groups went into different courts. I was with Juna and some other PL2 people, while Wei Shiung, Eu Jin and Su Wei were with some other people in another court. But all we got to hear was the mentioning of the cases. Well, we couldn't hear anything at all, because the lawyers were speaking to the judge as if others weren't here, and the way they speak doesn't strike me as to how lawyers should speak. They were quite timid, and the loudest person there was the woman calling out for the lawyers to bring their case forward.

After the civil courts, we went to the criminal courts. But only my group( the one that went into the same civil court) would be attending!! Lol, they didn't get into trouble, Wei Shiung's group went back to the conference room after their civil court trip. We waited for them, and Miss Marguerite went to find them, but to no avail. So we decided not to wait for them.

The Criminal section of the whole place was filled with people. This tells you how many crimes are committed everyday in Malaysia, and there were a lot of police officers around as well. All the courts were so full, until only the 5th court, we managed to get inside and sit down to see what was going on. The court we went in, there was a lock-up on the side, where all the criminals were put to wait for their hearing to be called. Quite fascinating!!

After all of that, we went back to the conference room, where all the others were waiting for us. When we told them even a bit about the criminal court, they were like, "So bad!!". Then during the time we were in the conference room, some questions were asked by some of the other students, and then we left.

Back to the bus to go back to college. Pity all those still at college, no holiday for them. We had burger king then stayed back for a while, then we dispersed back home.

*I did not write in detail about the court trip...lazy to write so much.

Till next time.

No comments: